Friday, November 18, 2011

Holidays

Halloween

Halloween in Maui is a pretty big deal. Everyone goes to great measures to come up with super creative and original costumes. I felt the pressure. Usually I grab some dance wear and frizz my hair claiming I'm from the 80's. 
Every year.
Kinda lame.
So I actually went out and bought things for my costume this year. I had 2 costumes. The night before Halloween my work put on a costume contest and all of the employees were required to dress up. I went out and bought a shiny matching top and skirt from the thrift store and borrowed about 20 pieces of jewlery from my girlfriend who has an endless supply of accessories. Ergo:


I was a belly dancer. Centered around my coin skirt I brought from the mainland. I cut the top (as you can tell it is very uneven) but you can't tell at first glance I hope, and used the bulk of the shirt as my headband. For the picture on the right, a lady asked me if I would take a picture with her husband, haha. She came back recently with them all printed up so that's how I have this photo.

It was fun to see so many people come in dressed up, but ultimately it was really bad for the servers. We had a keiki contest (kids) from 4-6pm and then the adult contest starting at 6:30pm. So once the contest began, those people sitting at my tables wanted to stay to watch the presentation of all the costumes because the tables were front row to all the action and everyone else stood behind the tables (in the waiter's way). So I couldn't get new tables sat for 2-3 hours. One table was there for 4 hours (but at least they kept ordering more drinks to keep my sales moving).
For the Keiki contest, the first and second place went to employee's kids, probably because a portion of their scores were judged on crowd's applause. But Seanna's baby got first , he was a little hobo :)

The Keiki contest prizes were gift certificates to Walmart. The adult contest prizes were awesome! third place (which went to my friends who were survivors from the show Survivor) was a one night stay at the Sheraton, The second place went to some zombies I believe, which were two tickets to go para sailing off Ka'anapali Beach. And the first place prize were 2 seats on a door-less helicopter tour of the neighboring island Molokai which went to a leprechaun and his pot of gold!
 Lahaina Street is the place to be on Halloween in Maui. This year was the first time in years that they marked off traffic and opened Front Street for Halloween. Front Street is where the bars and nightlife are on the West side of Maui.There are a bunch of house parties at the end of the street and long long lines to get into the bars on front street. People just line the sides of the street with their cameras to snap photos of crazy/cool costumes. 
For the actaul Halloween night, Jon and I were actually off work together! I've always loved seeing couples costumes on Halloween so Jon and I decided to be original and be....
Lucy and Ricky Riccardo!



Ursula from Little Mermaid and a gold digger!


 The most original costume I'd seen! A circus strongman!
The picture didn't do it justice, he had high wasted black shorts with high laced-up shoes also!


Early Holidays

We went home to Sacramento last week to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas early because it is too busy on the island to ask for time off, and really expensive to fly in and out of Maui during the holidays. We flew a red eye out Wednesday night. It was the worst flight ever. we got about 15 minutes of sleep over the 5.5 hour flight. So once we got in town, we passed out at Jon's parents house for a couple hours.
::Sacramento::
What we missed and didn't miss...
                   Missed                                       Didn’t Miss 
Family                                                                The higher populated city
The endless options to eat out at                                        Traffic
Beautiful autumn trees                                          Ugly beat down streets
Comfort of a fire and hot shower                                     The cold
Our first kittens we raised                      Being woken up at night by them
In-n-Out                                                              The long line at In-n-Out
Victoria’s Secret                                       Traffic at the mall on a sale day
 Boots                                              Squeezing into skinny jeans every day


We had a great time catching up with family and friends. One night we had a Thanksgiving dinner with Christmas and birthday presents at my parent's house. And the next night we had thanksgiving dinner at Jon's parent's house. We were there for 4 full days plus the days of travel and Jon golfed a total of 3 days! He got his fix. So here is a photo journey of our time in Sac:


Sienna's Birthday

My present to Chloe

Trying out the dress I got her and sister

Hawaiian brand nuts


Playing a few minute to win it games



Sienna wanted to join in :)



After our sisters and mama girls night. Missing Christie and mom in the pic tho!

"Sister sister!! Never know how much I missed ya..." A line from the show Sister Sister we watched growing up

My kitties didn't recognize me when I visited back in March. But this time I spent more time with them, and as shown in this picture, Fergie remembered me through my scent. She and Kona love climbing and kneading in my hair

Magic Carpet ride uncle Jonny!!

:)
Jon getting a cozy search at the airport
So that was our trip home. And as a plus, Jonny brought his bike home with him!!! His treasured hobby was put on hold once we moved to Maui because there were some major charges to ship his bike. But we found out its actually much cheaper to get it broken down and take in on the plane ride home with us as his check in baggage. Only $50! Fed Ex was charging $300!!
 We just got home from picking it up from the bike shop who put it back together. I snapped a shot of my baby riding it home :)


That's the low down on our lives as of late! Thanksgiving and on is considered our busy season again. There's a little break in early December but Christmas and New Years get pretty crazy! Then busy until after Easter just about. We are looking fore ward to the extra income for these next couple of months!

If you scroll down, the next few blog entries are videos from Kauai. I can't upload too many videos in one blog so they are all spread out. Take a look!

Maui No Ka Oi

No comments:

Post a Comment