Thursday, May 19, 2011

Surprise Visit Home




Mother's Day card
"There's no place like Mom"
 The week after Mother's Day I planned a stealthy surprise trip back to Sacramento! Jon didn't come, he was holding down the fort. He had work and he'd just seen his parents when they came to visit. It was definitely me missing my family, and them missing me :)

 My schedule that week had Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday off. So I got my Tuesday shift taken care of and got my Zumba classes covered and flew in Monday night. I didn't tell ANY immediate family. I wanted to surprise them all one at a time! That week was Mother's Day, my brother's birthday, and my sister's birthday was the following week. I thought a plane ride ticket would be a nice present.

So I did my homework to make sure everyone was going to be available that week at some point so I could spend time with everyone. I had my sister's husband, Andrew, pick me up Monday night from the airport and bring me back to stay at their place. He told Heather that he was heading over to hang out at a friends, which was a common occurance so it didn't cause her to think anything of it! He came back home an hour later and brushed it off like, "eh, it was boring there" and then I knock on the door. He tells her to answer it. And she's like "... uhhh NO! It's 11:00 at night!" but he says trust me.

After many tears and excitement, we settled in and chatted the night away. The next morning I had my sister-in-law Kristy K take me down to my mom's work (also one of my previous employers). Kristy wasn't sappose to know, but I had one of my mom's co workers check in to make sure my mom would be at the office when I came in, and she thought that I had already told Kristy, so she mentioned something to Kristy. A bummer for the surprise factor, but Kristy helped to make sure everyone else's schedules were figured out for the next week.

Kristy walked in first and got the camera ready. then I walk around the corner and say "Happy Mother's Dayyyyy"  :D


After a very long wide-eyed gasp, my mama burst into tears and hugged me many times. It was aweosme. She's not one for surprises, but I thought she'd like this surprise, and she did! Kathy is my mom's BFF and works with her as well, she cried longer than everyone else :) Haha and continued to cry if she talked about the surprise later that day. Love ya Kathy!

My mom took the rest of the day off and drove me around. Just like the old days before I got my lisense, my mommy- the taxi cab :) We went over to my sister-in-law, Christie's house (yes I have two sister's named Christie/Kristy, and yes both of their last names are now Vicars. and.... yes they have the same middle name!! hahaha Ann or Anne (right?) Aside from different spelling, they have the same name!) I contacted the girls babysitter and Christie's mom and aunt to make sure Christie wasn't off running errands the day I planned to come surprise her. My mom went in first and got the camera ready. Then I knocked and put my finger over the eye hole so I could see the true reaction.


She opened the door and said "oh hey" .... "OH... HEY!!!" realising that I was not actually sappose to be there... I don't live there. Haha. Sienna, who is now 3 1/2, was so excited and ran around the house like she was on caffine for the next few days. My other adoreable niece, Chloe was woken up from a nap to see me. She is now 8 months (right??) and last time I was her she was barely 4 months. What a huge difference! She is so much bigger!!!

I gave the girls pink flower leis and spent the next 2 days with them and Christie. That day we went out to lunch to The Habit (miss that place!) then headed home to surprise my dad.


Sadly I didn't have a way to make sure my dad was at the right place at right time for me to get a proper reaction from him since I didn't tell many people that I was coming into town. He was on a long distance call when he walked into the house and saw me there. He looked around and saw a buncha people, saw me, and waved and kept talking.... and then did not a double, but a triple-take and realised who I was and had a huge smile and started laughing. But he had to finish his call with a client before talking with me. He later told me it was such a great surprise, and it brought tears to his eyes :)

That night I walked in and sat on the couch with my brother Josh. He all of the sudden felt all eyes on him. He looked at everyone then finally at me and started laughing and got up and gave me a hug. When I saw my other brother Shane on his birthday on Thursday, my mom said "I've got a surprise for you..." and I walked up and he gasped and couldn't stop smiling :)

Overall, the reactions were all awesome and fun and I'm glad I got footage of most of it! I then spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with everyone.

Lunch with Chloe, Sienna, Mama, and Christie
My mom made dinner the first night for everyone,
 and my favorite dessert Pinapple Crush cake! MMMM Grandma's recipe!

Went to the Zoo with Sienna and her preschool
Exhausted baby after Zoo adventures
Wednesday night my old BFF, Caitlin told me she had an extra ticket to Cirque du Soleil, so how could I turn that down?!? I LOVE Cirque! (Real Cirque du Soleil shows, not Maui Cirque du Soleil)


Rope Dancers. Right after I took this
the security guard came over and told me to stop... oopsies

I dropped by Jonny's parent's house where we abandoned our kittens. Yet they are far from abandoned. Spoiled, kitty treats every day, huge house to roam around, regularily cleaned littler boxes, toys, and a dog they rule is a bit of a step up form our old place! If you didn't know much about me before the move, I was OBSESSED with my babies. Fergie and Kona. They grew up with me from little ones to cats. BUT they don't remember me :( When I dropped by to hang with them they were standoff-ish and kicked their way outta my arms when I picked them up. Well FINE! It helped me be okay to give them up to Tracy and Bill because they are better off at their house.

Thursday night my sisters and my mom and I all went out to dinner to celebrate Heather's birthday. Girl's night! We went to Z Pizza in Roseville. a Picca place that has good gluten-free pizza! It was lot's of fun and great to catch up. The pasta I got was horrible, but everyone's pizza was good! That's what I get for getting non pizza at a pizza place :-/. We stayed up late chatting and I hugged out my goodbyes.

The next 24 hours is a bit of a blur.

My flight left at 6am Friday morning. Which means I had to be there at 4:30am. Which means I got up at 3:30am. Which is 12:30am in my biological time. Tranfered planes in LAX.Then I got about an hour of sleep once I got back to my home in Maui. Then worked until 11pm that night. One very tired crazy day, but then it was over with and I had great memories of my trip back to Sac

ALMOST got 3 seats all to myself. Until the other pasengers hurried in last minute
and diminished my hope for a comfortable ride
I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day to all the Mother's surrounding them. Wives, Grandmas, sisters, coworkers, etc.

Maui No Ka Oi

No comments:

Post a Comment