Sunday, June 9, 2013

Let's Make Fitness Fun in Maui with NightLife Fitness!




Aloha all, it's been awhile. I'll tell you more about why in another blog but this blog is dedicated to a new Fitness group/company I am co-leading. Two of my fitness fanatic instructor friends and I have come together to create NightLife Fitness. It's primary goal is to make fitness fun for the people of Maui. Maui is an island of cruising, going with the flow, and doing what feels good. A lot of times that doesn't include staying fit and keeping active. So in hopes to get some new people up and moving, we combined our fun fitness dance formats with one of the primary past times of Maui: the bar/night scene. 

Our first NightLife Fitness event was called Ladies Fitness Nightclub held at the local bar/nightclub restaurant Lulu's in Lahaina (by the Safeway if anyone has been to Maui). Dancing, a DJ, nightclub lighting, a disco ball, a stage, a bumpin' bass, herb infused virgin mock-tails, and girlfriends! What could be more fun?! The ultimate Ladies Night Out. Us three instructors teach our format in 20 minute intervals for about 2 hours. Guests were encouraged to jump on and off the dance floor as they pleased to catch their breath, grab a mock-tail, or chat with their friends. 

The visionary of our three-some is Christina Farias with her own Farias Fitness LLC. She is a personal trainer to the millionaires that come to Maui, and a fitness instructor in many formats, including Buti Yoga (pronounced Booty Yoga). Buti yoga is a fusion of tribal dance, yoga, and explosive pylometrics. The lady with the largest following is Emily Shaw with HiLife Fit LLC. She is one of the main Crossfit trainers on the West side and created her own group fitness format called Cardio Dance. And then obviously I teach Zumba. I am the organized computer brains of the operation, haha. I created the flyer, the promotional video, and I run the email connections with our guests.

Our first event was a HIT! In a small space we squeezed in 50 people! We sold out of our 30 pre-sale tickets and had many people come and pay at the door. The night went smoothly, no major hiicups. It was rather hot and sweaty in there with so many bodies working up a sweat, so the ground got a bit slippery with sweat, but the yoga mats seemed to soak that sweat right up. We put in a lot of money because of the initial purchase of the cordless microphone, and the obvious promotional costs, the DJ, a good friend of mine Ola Shaw, and advertisement photos shot by my girlfriend Cassidy Baker. So we all broke even with the first event, but we anticipate to do pretty well in our next event at the end of June. And honestly we don't do this for the money, it's a passion for all of us, and its so fun to get on stage and keep the crowd energized and having fun! 
Emily Shaw
Christina Farias
  


















Photos of our event:














My ruthless Zumba crew from my classes that stayed the full 2 hours!

Ola Shaw, our DJ. Also the guy I helped organize the last major event I was involved in, the charity event for Jeff Worthen at Fleetwood's on Front Street called Celebration of Love and Life


I dove back into an old beloved hobby of mine- video editing. I love it. I edited my brother's wedding video, my wedding video, and countless videos during high school and college for various events. I have a new Adobe Premier video editing software on my computer now so I shot and edited this video. Because of the lack of light and a really good video camera, the footage is rather grainy, I apologize for that :) The link goes to YouTube where you can watch the promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kmkPGu2Spg

The next event is June 24 at the same venue. The last event went so well we have offers to be sponsored from a few companies. They haven't been made official yet so I won't share who yet. But I can mention that one was Red Bull, but because of our event location's agreement with a different energy drink we couldn't have Red Bull sponsor us this time around. But another location is already in the works for the event after June 24.... We'll see what happens! I'll keep you all updated on how it goes! If you are interested in joining our next event find out more information on the Facebook page: 

https://www.facebook.com/NightLifeFitnessMaui

or email our NightLife Fitness email account: NightLifeFitness@gmail.com

Maui No Ka Oi

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. weight loss

    ReplyDelete