Friday, September 9, 2011

The Sound of the Ocean, Soothes My Restless Soul...

Paia/Makawoa Day Trip

A surfin' goat of the Surfin' Goat Cheese
which is huge here in Maui, added to many dishes





I forgot to post some modeling photos from the last few months

So as promised:

Runway run-through before the Project Runway contestant's fashion show
Photos by RJ Kessler
 
Bridal Expo at The Westin
Photos by Candy Aluli... my aunt :)





 Photoshoot with Jose Conseco- Vetran famous baseball player. Most photos were taken before he arrived
Photography by RJ Kessler



Fashion Show at Stella Blue's for Karamel
Photography by Jackie Jean
Photoshoot at Timbas for Polly's Closet and Pakaloha Bikinis
Photography by Jackie Jean










Maui only tidbits:

   

 Surf's up!

The iconic phrase. A few days ago this phrase came into play! Yes, when you think of Maui you think of big waves and lot's of surfing. But honestly only a few main spots in Maui have great waves, and even some days it can be lame. But for a stetch of a couple of days, it was bumpin' everywhere! We stopped by a very local spot in Ma'alaea where the water was full of surfers.


Local trucks/beat up sedans line the road across from the beach

Double Rainbow ALL DA WAY!!!



I created a new nail polish style. Sand covered polish.
It wasn't on purpose...
I painted my nails with super thick and sticky polish because it is old and had barely any polish left
Then went to lunch, thought I had enough time for them to dry
But they hadn't
Now they are covered with sand
Sand is the new sparkle

A few days later
I left the house with two COMPLETELY different sandals on...
But we had already driven off, so I was sportin' different sandals to the grocery store that day
What's sad is that I have to put these shoes on in different ways
One calls for putting the strap around my ankle, and the other I have to lift up the heart to slip my foot in because it is heavy.
Me crazy...

Everyone parks on lawns here
If I parked on my parent's lawn I'd get yelled out by my Pops
Sarah told me to just park here and I was so uncomfortable doing so. Felt like I'd soon be scolded

To honor my darling Grandpa Stan
Champion of Horseshoes

A little taste of the local attitude
"Den" is pidgen slang for "then" if you were confused
This bumper sticker makes me 1. laugh hysterically and b) makes me wonder if he's got Aloha...
You can tell what kind of truck this is with all the equipment raising it underneath
Most locals driving cars like these tend to intimidate and yell at tourists, or try to run them off the road
I was harrassed by a truck such as this a few months into moving to Maui
I hope this guy practices Aloha if he chose to sport such a sticker on his car

Untouched gorgeous Maui sunset
The backdrop to my place of work- Hula Grill- while I was having dinner and wine with a friend after work
First Friday


Every First Friday of the month in Wailuku off of a main street, the county puts on a festival of local music, atrists, jewlery vendors, and LOTS of food. The adjacent picture doesn't look too snazzy, with the main sign put up over a Real Estate building (haha) but the street was pumpin' of family, friends, and good times! 

The Makaha Sons

Everyone was stoked for this group to perform. They are a famous group of Hawaiian musicians that sing many iconic well knows sweet Hawaiian tunes. My friend Sarah that I went with was so excited to see them. I'm sure you'll recognize the song. Bruddah Iz (Israel Kamakawiwo Ole')"White Sandy Beach"- sang by Iz. Youtube video sings it and is well known for it but I was told The Makaha Sons originally sang it.





"White Sandy Beach"
I saw you in my dreams
           We were walking hand in hand
                      On a white, sandy beach of Hawaii
                                We were playing in the sun
                                            We were having so much fun
                                                         on a white, sandy beach of Hawaii


The sound of the ocean
  soothes my restless soul         
 The sound of the ocean                 
rocks me all night long
                   

                                                     
 Those hot long summer days
Lying there in the sun
on a white, sandy beach of Hawaii

The sound of the ocean
         soothes my restless soul
                  The sound of the ocean
                            rocks me all night long

Last night in my dreams
I saw your face again         
We were there in the sun                  
on a white, sandy beach of Hawaii
                 


Maui No Ka Oi

No comments:

Post a Comment