Thursday, June 27, 2013

Playing in Maui

Now a days, a fun night out is few and far between. I decided to go back to school. This was always what was going to bring me back to the mainland. I've always had the goal of achieving my Bachelor's Degree. But, Maui is the best place for me. Maui is where I am the happiest. I don't want to leave Maui to go be tortured in a classroom, trying to get a degree that the university is determined to suck as much money out of me as possible in the process. I start at the bottom, forced to pay full tuition taking classes that have nothing to do with my degree or remotely interests me because everyone else is allowed first pick of classes. And even when I do graduate after spending so much money getting a degree... I couldn't get a job. That is what many of my friends are dealing with right now. 

But I set that goal for myself. And I've figured out a way to have the best of both worlds. I am working
towards a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology through an online program through Southern New Hampshire University. This program is set up for travelers. Each session is 8 weeks long. You can take up to 2 classes. The courses are intense, jam-packed courses, and it's a lot of work. The beauty of it is that I can take a session off at any time, and start back up the next session. That's my kind of school. Also, in the amount of 2 years I can finish my degree (that is not taking any sessions off though) and I will have paid the amount of ONE semester at a State College.... 

I just finished my first session, came out with an A in World Geography and a B in Cultural Anthropology. I was very good at school in High School and college, a 4.6 GPA in High School, and a 3.7 GPA in college. I know how to work the system, how to work my great short term memory to ace a test, write a convincing essay, but at the end of the semester, everything I learned is gone. I went through my school years with so much information jammed into my head, nothing stuck, I lost it all (except maybe French :) Now, with allowing myself the freedom to do school work whenever it is best for me throughout the week, and with only 2 subjects I am currently studying, I am kind of enjoying my studies. I am finding a lot of things interesting, and I'm growing from them, the information is actually sticking!

My social life has taken a toll, because I work the same amount of hours at Hula Grill and teaching Zumba, with a side business called NightLife Fitness, I still model from time to time, and I won't give up my 1 full days off once a week with my husband for anything else. So when all else is taken care of, then maybe I'll go play out on the streets with my girl friends. Here are many pictures that I haven't posted, many before my studies began, but a few after as well.
St. Patty's Day?

Green Beers

Dancing my booty off
Karaoke night is the best dance party



Reggae star Kimie

3 mile walk to breakfast

Beach campfire birthday party 





 Many of my friends have been leaving the island for varying amounts of time. All plan to come back. 
I hope they do

Kristin's going away dinner










Going away breakfast the morning she left

Going away dinner for Sarah

Going away party number 1 for Jaime and Mike


Going away party number 2 for Jaime and Mike


And a little bit of work....

Playing is important, but Jon and I will always remain responsible and productive. He's had a little side project while I have been doing school, a blog will be on that soon... I still teach Zumba, and am expanding it to new markets through NightLife Fitness. I just recently modeled at a fashion show at a huge venue and got paid- professional model status now? Maybe... 

But we treat ourselves. Either on the island or travel off the island. Hence an upcoming blog about our trip to Hana for a few days. The next big travel location is New Zealand in October. I can't wait to start planning our NZ vacation :)))


Maui No Ka Oi

No comments:

Post a Comment